Rocket Stove Design: Efficiency & Power
EcoZoom stoves use a rocket stove design which directs air through burning fuel in an internal combustion chamber and encourages the mixing of gases and flame above the fuel. Our precise internal stove dimensions are essential to achieving high combustion efficiency and heat transfer, capable of emitting up to 23,000 BTUs. Add in a fully insulated body to the stove and you have a safe, efficient, and powerful cooking machine. Our stoves use 60% less fuel and emit 70% less smoke than cooking on an open fire, reducing consumption of natural resources and toxic smoke inhalation while enabling you took cook with just a few sticks. For complete information on each model visit our Products page.
Design in Developing Countries
We work hard to incorporate women in developing countries into the design process of our stoves because they typically can spend anywhere from 2-8 hours a day cooking. The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves recognized our efforts to include women and wrote a case study about our design process. Ultimately we work through a 5-step design process before introducing stoves into developing markets to ensure adoption.
- Step 1: Market Need: Assessment of the current cooking environment and problems that must be addressed.
- Step 2: Lab Design & Testing: Functional prototypes are created and tested in a lab in partnership with the Aprovecho Research Center.
- Step 3: Field Testing: Prototypes are introduced into the market and feedback is gathered from end users.
- Step 4: Modify: Feedback from cooks is used to improve the prototypes functionality and aesthetics.
- Step 5: Manufacture: Collaborate with our manufacturing partner to source materials and build final product.
Most recently, we went through this design process with our Zoom Jet charcoal-only cookstoves. Click here to see our design process.